Have you ever thought one of the following thoughts?
- Money shouldn’t be spent
- Opportunities are limited
- Risk is dangerous
- Success is temporary
Then you could be holding yourself back, and not even realize it!
Your mindset – the way you think – could be causing you to look at successful people and assume they were lucky, sneaky, or in the right place at the right time to get where they are. This state of mind is often deeply rooted in how we are raised and can be difficult to break through because it requires conscious disciplined effort to restructure how you think and to think intentionally to create better habits instead of letting your mind run free with old habits that hold you back.
Are you ready for some tough love?
It’s all in your head. Literally. Everything in life is based on one thing: your mindset.
When you shift how you think and what you think, you start realizing that those successful “lucky” people are taking responsibility and accountability to do what they need to do to accomplish what that they’ve done. You also start to realize that your only held back from the same success because YOU consciously or subconsciously decided it’s impossible for you. Maybe you’re comfortable with where you are, and that is ok, but great success rarely comes from staying within your comfort zone.
”But… I need more money before I can do that”
So many people blame the rich on their problems. Or perhaps you’re like I used to be and blame your lack of money… or other people who happened to cross paths that didn’t lead to abundant wealth, security, and happiness.
We all succumb to the blame game at some point, but if you’re serious about changing your life, that change needs to come from within. Not necessarily your current resources.
But money is evil
Money isn’t evil. I cringe anytime people misquote the Bible saying ” money is the root of all evil,” when in fact it is written “the love of money is the root of all evil.” A lot of money in the hands of good people does some incredible good around the world. We just often don’t hear about it in the news because its not dramatic and does’t draw in viewers and advertising profits.
Yes, even poverty is in your head!
Let’s talk about it for a moment.
The poverty mentality holds back a humbling amount of people from pursuing their dreams and goals, and finding their true happiness.
But you can drag yourself out of that circumstance and welcome more into your life… yes, it is possible. I’m a walking testimony to that, as are many of my friends and colleagues.
I don’t intend to offend you. Instead, I’m hoping to inspire you to move past the mental blocks holding you back (whether you’re aware they are there) so you can move on to be happier, healthier, and pursue your dreams without limits. So you can truly be free and make a positive impact on the world around you. I want to see you liberate yourself from the mindset holding you back so amazing blessings can enter your life, just as it has mine.
Signs You’re Stuck In A Poverty Mentality:
Does any of these sound like you or someone you know?
- There is no personal development in your life. You’re not intentionally trying to grow, to improve yourself on a personal level, or to learn more above and beyond what you already know.
- You are not surrounding yourself with positive people who are trying to better themselves. Psychologists found that you take on the personality traits of the 5 people you spend the most amount of your time with. Are the people you spend most of your time with encouraging you to improve yourself and your circumstances? Or are they dragging you down to keep you where you are?
- You have no plan to get out of your situation.
- Maybe you or your spouse hates your job… maybe you are stuck on government assistance that actively discourages you from improving your circumstances… maybe you are living paycheck to paycheck… maybe you hate where you live… etc… but you do not have a plan to change it.
- Your goals in life are non-existent or very small.
- You accepted a certain way of life as your “fate.”
- You don’t believe creative thinking will result in any real or tangible change.
- You haven’t written down goals.
I have good news! These are all results from having mental blocks towards success… its all based on your frame of mind… and there is a way out!
Changing Your Mind
Step 1: Study people who are seeing the success you want to see.
Do you know of someone who has achieved the lifestyle you dream about?
- Follow them on social media
- Read what they post or write about
- Listen to what they have to say (especially at live events if they go to those)
- Follow the people they follow and seek mentorship from
Step 2: Set goals.
When was the last time you set a goal causing everyone around you (maybe even yourself too) to think or say it was a crazy idea and impossible?
If you can’t remember, or if you never went for it with all you’ve got, you might want to reanalyze your goals. Of course you will have smaller goals that will slowly help you achieve that overwhelmingly large one, but the main thing you must have is that larger goal in place and set in stone.
Stop living life blindly and just hoping it all works out in the end… instead, set up goals for every aspect of your life: personal development, finances, wellness, and relationships. (Literally grab a notebook and write those categories on the top of a page, then start setting goals underneath them)
Step 3: Take accountability and responsibility.
Understand reaching your goals is all on you. Realizing that (whether you like it or not), the option to be in a negative state of mind regarding your situation is all up to you. The option to do nothing vs doing something is all up to you. The option to making actual changes and stop being a victim to your circumstances is all up to you.
- If you want to get out of the situation you are in, it’s all on you
- It’s up to you to change your ways of thinking
- It’s up to you to take the steps necessary to get out of the bad neighborhood you live in
- It’s all on you to make any changes that drags you out of your current situation and into a better life
- That means no complaining or waiting around for anyone else to do something for you
- It means rolling up your sleeves and changing your family’s reality — because that is the only way it will change
- (This goes along with realizing that nothing is owed to you)
Step 4: Change your environment, if needed.
I can’t stress this fact enough: you become the average of who you spend most of your time with.
- If you spend a lot of time with people consumed with meaningless things, you will get meaningless results.
- If you are surrounded by people who have accepted an unhappy life, you will end up stuck with feeling the need to accept an unhappy life.
- If you’re surrounded by people who are constantly complaining, you will consistently find reasons to complain too.
- If you’re surrounded by people who make you feel that trying to change your situation is pointless – simply because they’re not changing theirs – then you will struggle to break free of the same mindset and will not break free of your circumstances.
If that is the case… then you may need to re-evaluate who you spend your time with…
- If you surround yourself with successful people, you will become like them.
- Being surrounded by people who value maintaining an abundance mentality, that mindset will will rub off on you and you will see your life change for the better.
Step 5. Motivate and inspire others.
You don’t have to be a life coach to help others. That is exactly how I started in the coaching industry… just helping people around me by encouraging them and lifting them up when they needed it the most.
Great things happen when you invest in other people, whether its investing time or resources. Life becomes so much better with so much more to be grateful for when we actively seek out helping others, and often that can result in some incredible blessings!
The cool thing about putting ourselves in the role of a mentor, is it makes us want to feel worthy of that position. It makes us try harder in all areas because we’re responsible for someone else and we want to be a good steward of that.
- Do you want inspiration? Inspire someone.
- Want wealth? Help someone else get closer to wealth.
(The cool thing about that those last 2 bullets… is that it’s EXACTLY how one aspect of my coaching business works. We get paid to help OTHERS seek wellness and personal development... and to get paid. Life becomes even more amazing when you can coach someone on how to better their lives and then watch them become coaches too)
Are you feeling offended?
When I coach people through these mental blocks, this is typically the point where we’ve either encountered a breakthrough or I’ve totally offended my client. I truly hope you’re seeing a breakthrough… or at least opened the door to one, enabling you to further examine yourself, your mindset, and your thoughts.
The truth is, we NEED to actively seek personal growth in order to experience true freedom. It’s not a one time task, but a new lifestyle designed to continually refine your mind. Each time you experience breakthroughs, you open yourself up to new levels of success.
I personally have learned a whole lot of tough lessons about myself in order to be made into a better leader, trust me… be willing to invest the time in yourself.
You Are Worth It. Your Freedom is worth It.
You are worthy and capable of living a life of freedom. Shift your thinking and begin to believe that. And then remember that getting there is on YOU.
This mindset shift does not take place overnight, especially if you were raised by people with poverty mentality. It is continual work to reject that mentality and choose the abundance mentality over and over and over until it becomes your default setting.
But it’s worth it. Your life will change when you do.
What do you think?
Are you willing to make some changes to your thought process and habits to produce a better life?
Where are you starting?
We’d LOVE to hear about it in the comments!!!
Do you need help?
We are now accepting new coaching clients to help you set goals and stick to them… and are also looking for people interested in coaching others too. Check out our Lifestyle Coaching page for more info!